Taming the beast that is Windows 10

My experience with Windows 10 has been very negative, in common with many other sufferers from what I can gather. Updates were downloading but crashing out before completion. The best I could manage was 68%, then I had to throw it all away.

I did manage to update the Internet Download Manager, but was rewarded with failure for my trouble. It complained about an incorrect password, and refused to run.

I deleted it completely and installed Eagleget, a completely free alternative!

I did install “Win Update Stop”, but this was not effective, and kept being reset to the off state.

Then I went for the jackpot – a big update that would require about 6 gigabytes of bandwidth – some going for a wifi hotspot, but it managed somehow. The problem was that the result was again failure. About an hour later, I was informed that I should contact Microsoft, and reference failure number “xxxx”.
This was just too much. Windows 10 was costing me too much time and money. It had to stop!

Step 1. Remove Windows Update Assistant – permanently!

You can uninstall this program as normal, but Windows will only reinstall it, so you have wasted your time. The trick is to stop Windows from reinstalling it!
a) Open the file manager, (ThisPC on the Desktop)
b) Browse to the Windows folder on your hard drive
c) Inside that find the “UpdateAssistant” folder, and click on it once.
d) Click on the “UpdateAssistant” folder a second time. The name of the folder can now be edited.
e) Insert an underscore before the folder name and press “Enter”.
f) A pop-up menu will appear saying that you need permission to make this change. Click on “Continue” and it will be accepted.
g) Your new folder name is now “_UpdateAssistant”, and all the programs in this folder can no longer be accessed by Windows – it can’t find them!

Step 2. Although Update Assistant has now been dealt with, Windows has other mechanisms by which it can perform its nefarious work. If you go to Internet Options on the Control Panel, you will see that the default webpage to go to is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141

It is not possible to permanently change from here, as the “Use Current” tab has been greyed out. We will have to dig into the Registry to make the changes, so you are well advised to create a Restore Point at this juncture.

a) Open the Registry Editor and search for “go.microsoft”
b) There are many such entries, and for each one we need to right-click on the highlighted entry. This brings up a menu with the terms “Modify”, “Modify Binary Data”, “Delete”, and “Rename”.
c) Select “Modify”, and the Value Data containing the link to Microsoft will be highlighted. Press “Delete”, and then “OK”.
d) Continue searching through the Registry until all links back to Microsoft have been removed.
(Use F3 to repeat the same search).
e) Some items refuse to allow alterations:-
MSDE, Support, Microsoft, PrivacyLink.
Live, Roaming
Ignore them, and hope for the best.

Now, when I switch on my Opera browser, I just close any spurious tabs that come up before switching on the wifi. I have retaken control of my own machine!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s