I was recently sent some information by Information Clearing House referring to a video entitled “The Most Honest Three and a Half Minutes of Television. Ever……?”
Every blog should have a link to this video!
Well, this is indeed stirring stuff, but I would dispute that all of it was completely honest. I would accept that from 16 seconds into the video up to 1 minute and 50 seconds, the content fits the description perfectly. After a pregnant pause lasting some 15 seconds, Will continues in a more conciliatory tone about how it used to be before, and this is the part that does not ring quite true.
Take a look at it yourself first, I’ll have more to say about it afterwards!
OK, so now lets looks at a transcript!
“Its not the greatest country in the world, professor, thats my answer!”
“and with a straight face, you’re gonna tell students that America is so star-spangled awesome that we’re the only ones in the world that have freedom? Canada has freedom. Japan has freedom. The UK, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, Belgium has freedom, so 207 sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.”
“And yet you – sorority girl – just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there’s some things you should know, and one of them is “There is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world –
– We’re 7th in literacy
– 27th in Math
– 22nd in Science
– 49th in Life Expectancy
– 178th in Infant Mortality
– 3rd in Median Household Income
– No. 4 in Labour Force and
– No. 4 in Exports
We lead the world in only three categories
– Number of Incarcerated Citizens per Capita
– Number of adults who believe angels are real and
– Defence Spending, where we spend more than the next 26 countries combined – 25 of whom are allies.
Now none of this is the fault of a 20 year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are a member of the Worst, period, Generation, period, Ever, period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don’t know what the fuck you are talking about. Yosemity?”
Assuming these figures are correct – I see lots of room for improvement!
“Sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons, we passed laws, struck down laws, for moral reasons, we waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbours, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, we made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured disease, and we cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men, we aspired to intelligence – we didn’t belittle it – it didn’t make us feel inferior, we didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn’t scare so easy. We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed – by great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognising there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world any more. Enough?”
An impressive speech, indeed, but it certainly neglects to mention some salient facts:-
– America was built on Ethnic Cleansing of the native population, and although accurate figures are very elusive, it would be safe to say that some 2 million people lost their lives as a result.
– The intention of the Founding Fathers was to maintain the ruling hierarchy in power indefinitely – it was certainly not in the best interests of the majority of the population, although it was dressed up to appear so.
– Whatever America may have been in the past, it is now a pale shadow of its former self. It has become the Global Predator.
America is still many things, but ‘great’ it most certainly is not!